A New Breed of Shore Hardtail

Nov. 13, 2012, 2:16 p.m.

i don't necessarily have more fun on my hardtail, but i appreciate the added challenge. in terrain that's fast and rough i find it fatiguing, and i'm faster and less tired on my squishy bike.

surface is really versatile, can be xc raced or ridden in nasty terrain with a dialed setup like pilecki's.

Nov. 13, 2012, 4:10 p.m.

I'm like you. I had a decent trail bike, I bought a hardtail and started thinking about what bike I should get next, and before you know it, my HT is my go to bike, and I don't want to ride anything else. I'm also toying with the trials moto idea.

Also, Scott's Surface needs a dropper post.

do it….I just got my beta about 1 month ago…cannot stop dreaming of the next ride. So much stuff to ride local. Ioco has allot of legal land to explore

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Nov. 13, 2012, 5:30 p.m.

^ oh me too.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 13, 2012, 5:34 p.m.

Pretty nice build Scott.

Hope I can get some real tires for my Surface soon! Any Specialized 29er tires in stock at Steed?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 13, 2012, 6:13 p.m.

I'm also toying with the trials moto idea.

Know anyone that wants to trade a L V-Tach for a trials moto?

But sometimes I am thinking of selling it and buying a 66 for the Stylus with a DH specific wheelset. Just swap forks, wheelset and good to go. It would for sure be interesting.

Do it. I run my Stylus with a 170 Lyrik DH. It makes the climbs a little more interesting but by no means impossible. And it absolutely shreds the downhills.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Nov. 13, 2012, 8:18 p.m.

I built up a similar sort of hardtail a few months ago. I have a few buddies that love their steel hardtails so I figured I'd try one and pulled the trigger on a Surface. Absolutely beautiful bike and absolutely not for everyone. I rode it over 20 times and I couldn't seem to find the fun. I went back to a dually and I'm happy I did.

If you're looking to get a hard tail, Chromag builds a beautiful bike and they were really helpful picking out the Surface for me. The one thing that I really liked about the Surface was the 29er wheels. Definitely going to try a small dually 29er in the future.

Nov. 13, 2012, 9:04 p.m.

Chromag is cycling precision defined. Amen

Nov. 14, 2012, 10:50 a.m.

i don't necessarily have more fun on my hardtail, but i appreciate the added challenge. in terrain that's fast and rough i find it fatiguing, and i'm faster and less tired on my squishy bike.

surface is really versatile, can be xc raced or ridden in nasty terrain with a dialed setup like pilecki's.

sure, a 29 HT presents different challenges on the way down but feels like cheating on the way up!

anyone know the difference between a Surface and Rootdown?

Nov. 14, 2012, 11 a.m.

sure, a 29 HT presents different challenges on the way down but feels like cheating on the way up!

made in Canada vs made in Taiwam

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Nov. 14, 2012, 11:14 a.m.

If by challenges you mean "dumbing down the shore"…

flickr

Nov. 14, 2012, 11:42 a.m.

Pretty nice build Scott.

Hope I can get some real tires for my Surface soon! Any Specialized 29er tires in stock at Steed?

Thanks very much. Unfortunately we are waiting for new stock of Specialized tires. I hope they get here soon. New Purgatory, Butcher, and ground control 2.3 will be nice to have.

.:NSTP:.

Nov. 14, 2012, 11:45 a.m.

Its all in the details. The Rootdown is made in Taiwan, is not made of True Temper Super Therm tubing, so it weighs more, and it does not have the defining details throughout the frame, but the geo is the same.

.:NSTP:.

Nov. 14, 2012, 11:59 a.m.

If by challenges you mean "dumbing down the shore"…

sure existing climbing lines are easier… no biggie… because IMO 29rs have opened up new, previously thought unrideable, harder climbing lines!

Nov. 14, 2012, 12:12 p.m.

Do it. I run my Stylus with a 170 Lyrik DH. It makes the climbs a little more interesting but by no means impossible. And it absolutely shreds the downhills.

DO you use your Stylus for park duty as well? At the moment I am really torn between keeping the squishy bike for the odd park trip, and selling it for not that much and buy some "extra parts" for when I want to ride lift-assisted. I could imagine that lines compareable to CIU in WHistler are waaay different on the HT. Easier to whip in the air, but definitely harder on the landings I guess.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 14, 2012, 12:15 p.m.

sure existing climbing lines are easier… no biggie… because IMO 29rs have opened up new, previously thought unrideable, harder climbing lines!

I was actually getting at the point that big wheels smooth out descents as well. It just makes sense for a hardtail or an XC bike with steep angles.

flickr