2014 Cove Hustler 650BJ

Jan. 10, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

Using Boomforeal's photoshop method, I tried to find the bb height myself.

The steps were:

1. Draw line from rear axle to front axle. This was just to see if the bb was in line with the two.
2. Draw line from bottom of tire to bottom of tire. This will mark where the height will be taken from
3. Draw line from edge of tire to other edge, making sure to go through the axle. This line was measured, and used to find the conversion between real life and photo.
4. Draw line from center of bb axle to line at bottom. Measure line
5. Use conversion factor found in 3 to find height in real life inches

The numbers I got were (in photo cm = real life inches):
Wheel size: 17.53cm=27.5" (Assuming the tires are perfectly at 27.5)
Conversion factor: 1cm=1.568"
BB axle height: 8.3 photo cm -[HTML_REMOVED] use conversion factor 8.3 photo cm x 1.568"/1cm = 13.02"

Therefore I found that the bb axle height is roughly 13"

I will confirm this later today with Matt using the ol' tape measure method

2014 Cove Hustler 650BJ Preview

:japan:

Jan. 10, 2014, 10:42 a.m.

nice work kaz. interested to hear what you guys come up with using a tape

though as Cove Bike Shop noted, BB height will depend on the size of the tires and wheels spec'd on the bike when its measure… which is why BB drop, rather than height, would seem to be the more useful measure: you can geek out and calculate the height you'd be looking at after calculating the exact diameter of your intended wheel+tire combo, or just use it as a relative number to compare different bikes

if the bb number is accurate, the st number matt posted is "actual" and the bike really does pedal as well as he says with the shock in the "descend" position (that rear axle area looks pretty ART-esque), i'm going to argue that contrary to what nouseforaname and boot contend, (at least on paper) this bike looks like a :censored: winner, and excellent value

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 10, 2014, 1:53 p.m.

Interested to see what the tape measure reads.

flickr

Jan. 10, 2014, 7:17 p.m.

Hey Interns, what's the news?!

flickr

Jan. 11, 2014, 12:08 a.m.

Results are in… roughly 13". This was without Matt sitting on it, it was hard enough having Matt hold the bike and the tape measure. We would probably need someone else to hold the tape measure for us when we try it with him sitting on it

:japan:

Jan. 11, 2014, 12:36 p.m.

phew, that's low: .8" lower than the 650b range in its slack/low setting; a bit lower than the range killerb, which has a fair bit of chain-tension-induced-anti-squat built into its suspension design and still suffers from not-infrequent pedal strikes. i imagine it will feel (even more) well planted in the corners and at speed, though, a tradeoff i'd be happy with

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 11, 2014, 1:12 p.m.

I think we are seeing the first bike in the next generation of mini-DH bikes. This is going to be a real fun bike for a lot of people. Not my cup of tea as I'm a pedally guy, but variety is the spice of life right?

Jan. 11, 2014, 3:41 p.m.

I asked for this back in 2011!!!

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=146392[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=hustler

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 11, 2014, 5:58 p.m.

BJ? really? BJ?!
are 9 yr old boys the target audience?
why not 650boner? or 650boobies. 650bumbumfartpoopface.

nice low bb. some people will hate it, especially if they run soft suspension.

Jan. 11, 2014, 6:05 p.m.

650bumbumfartpoopface

yes! that's it! best name ever!!!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Jan. 11, 2014, 8:53 p.m.

BJ? really? BJ?!
are 9 yr old boys the target audience?
why not 650boner? or 650boobies. 650bumbumfartpoopface.

nice low bb. some people will hate it, especially if they run soft suspension.

Did you somehow miss that this is a Cove bike?! Or maybe you expected them to change their naming conventions?

Jan. 11, 2014, 10:19 p.m.

yeah i do expect them to change their naming conventions. the bad joke was over years ago, yet someone there, i assume a majority of some kind, still thinks they're being clever and witty. they embarrass themselves. the majority of the population trends toward a more mature sense of humor with age. i'm funny as ever, for example. i still think farts and poop are fun/funny, in their context. yet i and the majority of my friends in their 20s/30s/40s find these names tiresome and lame, enough to make me disinterested in what otherwise appears to be a potentially decent bike. that's bad for business, plain and simple.

Jan. 12, 2014, 9:42 a.m.

why so serious? its a decal, possibly the least interesting or important part of the bike. don't like it, peel it off

Jan. 12, 2014, 11:06 a.m.

yeah i do expect them to change their naming conventions. the bad joke was over years ago, yet someone there, i assume a majority of some kind, still thinks they're being clever and witty. they embarrass themselves. the majority of the population trends toward a more mature sense of humor with age. i'm funny as ever, for example. i still think farts and poop are fun/funny, in their context. yet i and the majority of my friends in their 20s/30s/40s find these names tiresome and lame, enough to make me disinterested in what otherwise appears to be a potentially decent bike. that's bad for business, plain and simple.

I definitely think the naming conventions are juvenile but I sure don't care if they change them or not. It obviously works for their niche market so what's the big deal? Nobody here can argue their business plan without actually knowing it.

If I was hellbent on buying this bike I'd simply trim off the Js on the decals. Nice bike though.

Jan. 12, 2014, 12:27 p.m.

haha, welcome to not their target market..

do you really think Cove cares if your personaly offended or not ?

theres a billion bikes with a billion stupid names.

what one person thinks is a good idea, the next thinks is dumb.

personaly i think the 650BJ is a terrific name and right in keeping with Cove tradition..