2011 Turner DHR Reviewed by Tim Coleman

June 22, 2011, 11:20 p.m.

for you the dhr might be a great bike, for other's their riding style and preference may make it less desirable. imo differing opinions of a product only benefit the consumer to be able to make an informed decision about their prospective purchase.

i agree with this, and i feel like a broken record, my gripe was that his review was vague, hasty to jump to conclusions, and not very technically based….for instance, just as an example, if he said words to the effect of this i would take him seriously: the bike hangs up in rough sections and didn't seem to carry speed that well compared to the santa cruz v10 i tested a couple weeks back; i only tested it with the stock RC4 i was provided with, perhaps a different damper would be better, or maybe the shock needed a rebuild, but overall it could stand to improve in that realm

instead he was obscure in his musings about suspension and seemed to be far more distracted by the fact that the bike needs a freaking fender and some chainstay protection(everyone knows that all DH bikes need this)

i'm checking out and getting some sleep…my whole point was that it was a weak review

June 22, 2011, 11:30 p.m.

to solidify your entire argument

yes, that is solely and specifically what that big long rant i wrote was based on…you have excellent comprehension skills

June 22, 2011, 11:33 p.m.

i agree with this, and i feel like a broken record, my gripe was that his review was vague, hasty to jump to conclusions, and not very technically based….for instance, just as an example, if he said words to the effect of this i would take him seriously: the bike hangs up in rough sections and didn't seem to carry speed that well compared to the santa cruz v10 i tested a couple weeks back; i only tested it with the stock RC4 i was provided with, perhaps a different damper would be better, or maybe the shock needed a rebuild, but overall it could stand to improve in that realm

instead he was obscure in his musings about suspension and seemed to be far more distracted by the fact that the bike needs a freaking fender and some chainstay protection(everyone knows that all DH bikes need this)

i'm checking out and getting some sleep…my whole point was that it was a weak review

see now i didn't get that at all, i got a entirely different feel where i thought he did a relatively good job of reviewing what he was given to ride. if the bike is pooched can you really blame the reviewer for not liking the way it rode?

the fact that i've never owned a dhr and don't really care about the brand one way or the other means i probably read the review with far less bias than you did.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 22, 2011, 11:35 p.m.

yes, that is solely and specifically what that big long rant i wrote was based on…you have excellent comprehension skills

i got that the rant was about poor suspension set-up and calling into question the reviewer's ability to asses the bike based on how he didn't know how to set up the bike.

my reading comprehension is fine, but i think your bias of your love for this bike is getting in the way of yours.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 22, 2011, 11:42 p.m.

if the bike is pooched can you reall blame the reviewer for not liking the way it rode?

no one even knows if the bike was "pooched" or not, but you're already speaking as if it was…all in all, i would not judge a bike until i had it set up to my personal liking and i spent some serious time on it…that's MY WHOLE POINT!

…clearly you and i rationalize differently…i should have realized this when you started babbling about riding downhill on hardtails…people don't ride moto tracks on circa 1970's hardtail harleys and if i met someone who did, i would probably have a hard time relating to them

June 22, 2011, 11:48 p.m.

Ian: If the review was about a bike that you don't have a personal interest in, then what would your reaction be? Probably fairly neutral. You are just sounding like a fanboy right now. Tim didn't have much luck on the bike, he admitted that the suspension was probably in need of a service, which is really besides the point. Turner should be right on the demo fleet making sure that it's going to offer the best experience possible, to do anything else is just showing laziness or a lack of attention to detail.

Also, Tim's re-reviewing the bike with a serviced set of suspension to make sure that it wasn't the bike.

Barging into a forum and arguing with the members isn't a good way to get a lot of respect, or to make people listen on any forum.

June 22, 2011, 11:52 p.m.

no one even knows if the bike was "pooched" or not, but you're already speaking as if it was…all in all, i would not judge a bike until i had it set up to my personal liking and i spent some serious time on it…that's MY WHOLE POINT!

…clearly you and i rationalize differently…i should have realized this when you started babbling about riding downhill on hardtails…people don't ride moto tracks on circa 1970's hardtail harleys and if i met someone who did, i would probably have a hard time relating to them

nice, we come full circle to your reading comprehension point. your whole point was about set-up was it? did you miss the lines in the article where tim talks about set-up?

I looked at Dave Weagel’s set up suggestions and noticed that his recommendations were to substantially reduce the compression damping, lower the Boost Valve pressure to near minimum and maximize the Boost Valve volume.

In the time I had the DHR I scoured forums for setup tips…

ps - i also have a dh bike that i ride (and an am bike if it matters) and enjoy differently than the hardtail and i rationalize my experience on both bikes differently. the only reason the hardtail refernece even came into the subject was, as i said more than once, your video did not show a rowdy trail. it showed something relatively smooth that did not require a dh bike to rip down on. your trail example nullified itself because it looked like pretty mellow riding.

Ellen Langer

June 22, 2011, 11:59 p.m.

all in all, i would not judge a bike until i had it set up to my personal liking and i spent some serious time on it…that's MY WHOLE POINT!

oh look! seems like i was right in assesing what your "rant" was about then.

i got that the rant was about poor suspension set-up and calling into question the reviewer's ability to asses the bike based on how he didn't know how to set up the bike.

what were you saying about reading comprehension again?

Ellen Langer

June 23, 2011, 12:06 a.m.

Ian: If the review was about a bike that you don't have a personal interest in, then what would your reaction be? Probably fairly neutral. You are just sounding like a fanboy right now. Tim didn't have much luck on the bike, he admitted that the suspension was probably in need of a service, which is really besides the point. Turner should be right on the demo fleet making sure that it's going to offer the best experience possible, to do anything else is just showing laziness or a lack of attention to detail.

Also, Tim's re-reviewing the bike with a serviced set of suspension to make sure that it wasn't the bike.

Barging into a forum and arguing with the members isn't a good way to get a lot of respect, or to make people listen on any forum.

if it was about another bike i would aslo dismiss him as unfit for reviewing bikes…for example, i think mountain bike action is a joke primarily because their bike reviews are so pathetic…would i carry on like this if it was about another bike? probably not to this extent, depends on the bike and the context, but i've definitely carried on about products i have no vested interest in sheerly out of principal….

i'm glad tim's re-reviewing the bike….hopefully he can take his time with it…

as for arguing with people, i know i can be abrasive, but it takes two, and some of the responses i elicited were pretty ludicrous….

June 23, 2011, 12:09 a.m.

Whether the bike was pooched or not, it performed badly. So it got a bad review. How is this rocket science?

www.vitalmtb.com

June 23, 2011, 12:42 a.m.

some of the responses i elicited were pretty ludicrous….

hahahaha - nice try there bub. you need to go back and have a serious look at how you waded into this mess. you reap what you sow.

Ellen Langer

June 23, 2011, 2:08 a.m.

any bike CAN fail when you crash it.

but if that bike did fail after casing a jump in whistler(which arent too dramatic like stright drops/dirt jumps where there is a ledge).

i'd seriously not buy it, especially for 3g.

June 23, 2011, 6:34 a.m.

I would suspect that the failure of this particular frame had more to do than we are privileged to know.

June 23, 2011, 7:34 a.m.

any bike CAN fail when you crash it.

but if that bike did fail after casing a jump in whistler(which arent too dramatic like stright drops/dirt jumps where there is a ledge).

i'd seriously not buy it, especially for 3g.

Come one - we all know you'll probably see more broken bikes at Whistler than anywhere else, even if it's down to covering lots of vertical.

June 23, 2011, 8:04 a.m.

Riot.