2011 Rocky Slayer - ridden and sniffed by Dan

April 27, 2010, 4:54 p.m.

Why? Climbs better, descends better? This bike will be in the genre of bike I will be purchasing next. If you could elaborate that would be great, especially because you have saddle time on bikes in the same category. Thanks.

Because I said so!

Ha!

No seriously both bikes performed about the same. Both climbed well and both handled well.

The Rocky seemed to climb better (easier to pedal, less feedback) and felt more solid when she was pointed downhill. Giant felt… twiggy in the descents.

If I can be super subjective (it is the internet, of course I can)… I trusted the Rocky more than I trusted the Giant.

www.steedcycles.com

April 27, 2010, 5:06 p.m.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Shed head!

April 27, 2010, 7:48 p.m.

Wow…good job RM, this is the first RM since the blizzard and equipe that I have actually wanted…that is a fine looking bike.

April 27, 2010, 8:51 p.m.

while I haven't ridden the slayer, I have ridden the reign sx, and am curious what you mean by "twiggy"? I thought it felt like a great descending and pedalling bike from a lap I did on one….

April 27, 2010, 9:04 p.m.

This is a really nice bike. Now if only they started building bikes in BC again.

The real question is when is Rocky going to make a Carbon frame version?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 27, 2010, 9:11 p.m.

This is a really nice bike. Now if only they started building bikes in BC again.

I have no idea if this is legit, but I heard today at a lbs that there are a few carbon frames in existence.

April 27, 2010, 9:41 p.m.

What difference would it make if it was made in BC?

April 27, 2010, 9:42 p.m.

What difference would it make if it was made in BC?

I get all hot and bothered for North American built bikes:fruit:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 28, 2010, 7:48 a.m.

while I haven't ridden the slayer, I have ridden the reign sx, and am curious what you mean by "twiggy"? I thought it felt like a great descending and pedalling bike from a lap I did on one….

In the descents the Rocky felt way more stable, when charging into things it felt better. There is a difference of .5 degree in the head tube angle and that could have helped.

www.steedcycles.com

April 28, 2010, 8:06 a.m.

In the descents the Rocky felt way more stable, when charging into things it felt better. There is a difference of .5 degree in the head tube angle and that could have helped.

I love the new Slayer and it is on my wishlist. The demo they had at their booth was indeed a nice bike. But, using the terrain at Sea Otter to make a comparison to bikes ridden here is kind of hard. My 29'er charged the descents with confidence and stability there too!

April 28, 2010, 8:07 a.m.

:) .5 degrees? really? hahaha I'm just giving you shit, Dan…..we've had the discussion, re 'tests' before! heh heh heh….can't wait to try the rocky out too.

April 28, 2010, 8:48 a.m.

So how different/better/worse is the RM's suspension design than a horst link? If its as good or better than a horst, wouldn't that mean the horst is a pile of marketing junk? ;)

Giant's design does have a very slight bit of pedal feedback, especially in the granny. But it makes up for it everywhere else.

April 28, 2010, 9:12 a.m.

If I can be super subjective (it is the internet, of course I can)… I trusted the Rocky more than I trusted the Giant.

hey dan did you try them bikes back to back? wondering how much the superior descending prowess of the new slayer may have had to do with monterey's legendary lack of gnar

So how different/better/worse is the RM's suspension design than a horst link? If its as good or better than a horst, wouldn't that mean the horst is a pile of marketing junk? ;)

i don't know enough about suspension design to figure out how rocky's moving the pivot above the axle would alter the suspension's function. it seems so simple - get by the fsr patent without compromising suspension performance under braking, line up the low bar with the chain to get less pedaling feedback - hard to believe no one thought of that before. . .

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 28, 2010, 9:22 a.m.

Giant's design does have a very slight bit of pedal feedback, especially in the granny. But it makes up for it everywhere else.

I'm sure RM would have you believe that it's all marketing junk. Most riders probably won't be able to tell the difference, some will think it's awesome, and some will think it's worse. At the end of the day, I don't think that many, if anyone, will make their decision to buy the bike based on the suspension design.

I could never get used to the Maestro feedback in the granny ring. I love the suspension for fast descents, but on the climbs, I much prefer a Horst link. but, that's what I'm used to.

April 29, 2010, 12:24 p.m.

The Rocky seemed to climb better (easier to pedal, less feedback) and felt more solid when she was pointed downhill. Giant felt… twiggy in the descents.

I wonder, would this have anything to do with the 2010 RP23 shock with boostvalve? I've found a number of reviews praising the thing, saying it's a big improvement from previous years. Here's just one.