2009 Mongoose Nugget - Proto shots

March 3, 2008, 1:15 a.m.

lol slopestyle

March 3, 2008, 10:39 a.m.

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/gear_shots39_01_08.php

I guess nsmb.com doesn't know squat…

Go ride this exact bike then come back and give us a review…

I rode a Teocali frame (5.5 rear, freedrive system too) with a fox float R, and custom bits when i was in NZ - I reckon it was a great frame - Heaps of rearward suspension travel, and hence it felt like flew down the hill. I gave it stick on single track and even FR/DH trails (which i'm familiar with on my demo9)… and it performed great!

the suspension also tracked very well on climbs.

My TWO gripes with this frame were - Crappy and SMALL needle roller bearings (not sealed) for the little linkage behind the BB CRAPPED out very quickly, so lateral rear end sitffness is an issue medium to long term - and Mongoose isn't exactly 'bling'. By the end of it, the bearings were flogged out, but it didn't matter cos I kept riding the pants off it, and it gave so much back.

I'd ride one of these again, or a khyber Super -but sticking with steel hardtail pride for my 'trail' bike now.:damn:

huck your meat.

March 3, 2008, 11:59 a.m.

Hey guys,

I'll take this opportunity to clear up some confusion with the FreeDrive technology and just so you guys know, we're working on a another article to clear up some confusion associated with the design, so you can look forward to that sometime soon!

For now I'll give you guys a verbal explanation.
Basically, the rear axle, sweeps up in a rearward and upward motion. This allows the wheel to clear free from anything activating the suspension design in a natural way. This is key to the FreeDrive design, and this will also help you maintain your forward momentum.

Compared to a 4-bar, FSR, Horst or other linkages that send your wheel in a nearly vertical/vertical wheel path, those designs do not react as well to square edge bumps and have a tendency to hinder your forward momentum.

This rearward wheel path is beneficial as your front wheel holds a similar upward/rearward wheel path and as your suspension compresses, FreeDrive allows you to keep a more consistant wheel base, compared to the other designs, giving you a more stable platform.

The design also minimalizes Chain Growth, as the isolated BB swings in a rearward path; this contributes to a consistent feeling suspension system, no matter what gear you're in. As for the leverage ratio, we're able to maintain a consistent leverage ratio throughout the beginning to ending stroke of the shock. This makes it an ideal platform for using air shocks, giving it a predictable, bottom-less feel. As the air ramps up, the leverage ratio remains the same.

You will see the Black linkage connecting the Swing arm to the back of the BB, this is called the "freedom link". The length and angle of the freedomlink determines how "snappy" or quickly the bike accelerates. Short and angled down = quick acceleration. Flat and longer freedom link = more supple.

Under pedalling pressure, there is a force called the "anti-squat" and it is the force on a chain that restrains the shock from compresssing under initial pedalling pressure. Obviously this does not "lock out" your rear suspension, but when you get started on your bike and you take those first few cranks or when you're sprinting, which places the most stress on your chain. This is when the anti-squat force will be most helpful in firming up your suspension enough to transfer as much of your pedalling force straight to your wheels.

hopefully that helps!

Andrew Cho

GT Bikes
http://www.gtbicycles.com

March 3, 2008, 12:43 p.m.

Hey guys,

I'll take this opportunity to clear up some confusion with the FreeDrive technology and just so you guys know, we're working on a another article to clear up some confusion associated with the design, so you can look forward to that sometime soon!

Basically, the rear axle, sweeps up in a rearward and upward motion. This allows the wheel to clear free from anything activating the suspension design in a natural way. This is key to the FreeDrive design, and this will also help you maintain your forward momentum.

Compared to a 4-bar, FSR, Horst or other linkages that send your wheel in a nearly vertical/vertical wheel path, those designs do not react as well to square edge bumps and have a tendency to hinder your forward momentum.

This rearward wheel path is beneficial as your front wheel holds a similar upward/rearward wheel path and as your suspension compresses, FreeDrive allows you to keep a more consistant wheel base, compared to the other designs, giving you a more stable platform.

The design also minimalizes Chain Growth, as the isolated BB swings in a rearward path; this contributes to a consistent feeling suspension system, no matter what gear you're in. As for the leverage ratio, we're able to maintain a consistent leverage ratio throughout the beginning to ending stroke of the shock. This makes it an ideal platform for using air shocks, giving it a predictable, bottom-less feel. As the air ramps up, the leverage ratio remains the same.

You will see the Black linkage connecting the Swing arm to the back of the BB, this is called the "freedom link". The length and angle of the freedomlink determines how "snappy" or quickly the bike accelerates. Short and angled down = quick acceleration. Flat and longer freedom link = more supple.

Under pedalling pressure, there is a force called the "anti-squat" and it is the force on a chain that restrains the shock from compresssing under initial pedalling pressure. Obviously this does not "lock out" your rear suspension, but when you get started on your bike and you take those first few cranks or when you're sprinting, which places the most stress on your chain. This is when the anti-squat force will be most helpful in firming up your suspension enough to transfer as much of your pedalling force straight to your wheels.

hopefully that helps!

but it's still like a rocky pipeline i will stick with my shawks that actually work

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

March 3, 2008, 1:52 p.m.

but it's still like a rocky pipeline i will stick with my shawks that actually work

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what qualities you're comparing from the pipeline to the Nugget. But as far as the suspension design goes…it's nothing like the pipeline..as it was a Single Pivot Bike that did not have an isolated BB.
We have 2 Main pivots, which makes the FreeDrive system work.

If you guys have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability

Andrew Cho

GT Bikes
http://www.gtbicycles.com

March 3, 2008, 3:22 p.m.

Do some research before trolling the boards. THe pipeline was a URT bike, the BB and rear Axle were fixed with respect to each other. The Mongoose uses a design similar tot he GT I-drive, where the rear triangle moves independent of the BB, which is also independent of the front triangle, the design is supposed to minimise chain feedback while still remaining fully active under load.
Look at the pivot locations in the image here and below and you can clearly see that the bike isn't a URT.

March 3, 2008, 5:54 p.m.

Its definitely not a URT. I was skeptical about the Mongoose designs but I've heard good things from a few sources.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 3, 2008, 5:56 p.m.

The suspension system looks a little odd that the BB moves with the suspension. I thought that thats what you didnt want? shrugs But the bike is an eye catcher. Whats Romy riding these days?

March 3, 2008, 6:36 p.m.

I think the mongoose bikes are looking great, but I'm still skeptical about the BB moving back under load. Seems like a lot of rearward force will be felt at the pedals. I haven't ridden one yet, but won't pass up the chance to if someone offers to satisfy my curiosity.

March 3, 2008, 7:03 p.m.

THIS is a Pipeline with a URT suspension system. See how different it is folks???!!!!!! sheeeeeeeesh

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

March 3, 2008, 7:11 p.m.

Hey guys,

Ummm… So how does the suspension unload ? A rearward axle path under compression is a forward axle path when decompressing. On repeat hits the said axle path will cause the suspension to stack and bottom easier than a vertical axle path.

IMO.

I haven't seen the bike in the flesh but looking at the photo's the position of the pivot on the near vertical part that activates the shock and houses the BB is approx halfway between the shock mount and the BB axle center. That means that the location of you pedals/feet is able to move at least 2" +/- on a horizontal plane relative to your bars/hands.

Nuts IMO.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 3, 2008, 7:42 p.m.

Mongoose!!!:lol:

Starting this account from scratch. Havnt been on in 10 years. 

135 foot double table pic

March 3, 2008, 7:55 p.m.

whatever im not going to argue with sponsored riders that are going say good things no matter what, i'm with JCL

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

March 3, 2008, 9:09 p.m.

so as I can see it - most designs where the distance from the head tube to the bb is static, the bb comes forward on compression of the rear suspension - in this case, the bb can stay in a vertical plane as they describe keeping an equal wheelbase.

it is no URT so you can't make any assumptions… armchair engineers…

Look at the article from santa cruz about building the Blur LT… without their notes, can you tell me how each variation will feel from pictures? I think not…

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

March 3, 2008, 9:24 p.m.

so as I can see it - most designs where the distance from the head tube to the bb is static, the bb comes forward on compression of the rear suspension - in this case, the bb can stay in a vertical plane as they describe keeping an equal wheelbase.

The BB "comes forward" relative to what ?

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman