07 Norco Six and Fluid - Long term comparison test

Nov. 15, 2007, 4:03 p.m.

I rode the '08 Fluid LT in Moab. It was a Really nice bike! It was a small and I should be on a medium so the climbing wasn't ideal, but it was confidence inspiring on the descent! It had the Lyric and DHX air, 2.1 kenda nevegals. Awesome bike.

I also tried the '08 Shore in a bike park in Mt. Hood. Really fun quick bike. A bit short and slack for climbing, but really nimble descending.

that's my dream stable for next year, Fluid LT [HTML_REMOVED] Shore :love: Never thought i'd become a Norco whore!

Nov. 15, 2007, 4:26 p.m.

YES!!!
Lee is oldcore, same as Chuck D.
they both can rock the kujos!!!!
you rock man

Nov. 15, 2007, 5:03 p.m.

that's my dream stable for next year, Fluid LT [HTML_REMOVED] Shore :love: Never thought i'd become a Norco whore!

Ha - I already have my Norco Stable:

2006 Six R.0 (the frame is the 1.0 - but its got the Rewogar build kit on it)
2003 Bigfoot with Vanilla 125 RLC, Vee brakes, Deore/XT drivetrain (I think my bigfoot might just climb smooth fire road a tad better than the fluid…)

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 15, 2007, 5:52 p.m.

YES!!!
Lee is oldcore, same as Chuck D.
they both can rock the kujos!!!!
you rock man

If it's old yet works then why change.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 17, 2007, 7:08 a.m.

kujos=hard to flat=good times!

Nov. 18, 2007, 6:32 a.m.

You have some sort of relationship with Norco, right? I figure since you're in the catalogue that there must be some give and take between you.

Thinking of that, I'm happy you didn't give the bikes full top marks. It's good to see some criticisms laid down.

I think the concept of a comparison test like this is a good one. However, an in depth comparison of 'old' product isn't as useful to the new bike buyer. There are a lot of used bike buyers out there, so this review can be good for that.

I'm glad Cam talked about 08 models in the article, because without that, the review lacks timely relevence, especially with the new frame designs on the way.

I liked the review, but found it pretty wordy.

Again, I liked how you talked about negative things as well as good things.

Nov. 18, 2007, 8:49 a.m.

Lee,

I appreciated the review and it helped me decide to buy my new bike. I have a '05 Six with an '07 66RC2x up front. It is a much more freeride/DH friendly than the Six that you reviewed and, as a result, much less all mountain.

I just bought a '07 Fluid SE with the full XTR set up and Fox 32 Talas up front. I had my first ride on it and aside from the huthinson tires, the bike is one heck of a performer. Climbs like a goat and rails coming down trails. The adjustable Fox fork provides the ideal suspension duties up front as it can be locked out and set at 100mm for going up.

I find it to be confidence inspiring going down steeps as well, although the 160mm XTR brakes may provide better stopping power if the rotor was increased to 185mm (I could lose weight to I guess).

The front and rear suspension kept the bike feeling well under control even when I felt that I was pushing the limits on my first ride.

The SE has the anodized frame and is very well built.

Again, thanks for posting the reivew!

Nov. 18, 2007, 10:34 a.m.

You have some sort of relationship with Norco, right? I figure since you're in the catalogue that there must be some give and take between you.

Thinking of that, I'm happy you didn't give the bikes full top marks. It's good to see some criticisms laid down.

not to put words in Lee's mouth…. but he's not the kind of guy to pull his punches because he's your "friend" :) If anything he's going to be harsher with you because, as you mentioned, his criticism is constructive and with his amount of experience in the mtb world you're likely to learn something from it. Looks like Norco did from what they've done with their '08 lineup, good to see a company listening to their customers!

*** note: I am in no way affiliated with Norco and receive only partial sponsorship from the LeeLau institute of hack mountain biking (in the form of old Kujo tires and Mag21 forks)

Nov. 18, 2007, 4:32 p.m.

I had the opportunity to try Lee's Fluid One for a couple rides and the bike is absolutely amazing! It looks too big to climb and too small for DH, but there must be magic in the geometry/suspension. I can't believe how responsive, nimble, and 100[HTML_REMOVED]#37; predictable it is for going downhill. The rear suspension is fully unbelievable at how active, yet only helpful, when going up technical stuff.

can't get enough of that sodium benzoate…

Nov. 18, 2007, 9:15 p.m.

…… I liked the review, but found it pretty wordy.

Actually I used to race grassroots for Norco a long time ago through a bike shop, Cyclepath Broadway. This was around 2001 or so and I raced XC. I was never Norco Factory. Through that, I got to know a lot of people at Norco and many of them are still good friends.

I also got to know a lot of people at Norco through advocacy. Norco's been a supporter of the NSMBA for a long time and when I was President and still actively involved, they helped out a lot.

Recently, I started skitouring and climbing mountains and riding bikes up and down mountains with Pat Mulrooney, who has become a good friend. He is also a heck of a photographer and takes a lot of fine pictures which end up in the Norco catalogue. Since I'm on a lot of these adventures with Pat, I tend to end up in a lot of good pictures.

Anyhow, you're right and I am wordy but only because I like to give the full picture (either behind my reviews or my biases). I like Norco bikes. I've been riding them a long time and I think they're very tough bikes with incredible value for money.

Chris is right. Because I am a bit of a Norco homer, I try very hard to be as objective as possible when reviewing their bikes as I try to recognize my bias in favour of Norco. I'm really glad that you considered my review good and substantive despite my "affiliation" with Norco.

Anyhow, thanks for raising a good point and letting me blabber on more!

Dec. 10, 2010, 12:46 a.m.

Would the 2007 Norco Six 3 be similar to the Six 1 Frame ?

Dec. 10, 2010, 10:52 p.m.

Long fucking term!!!

Sept. 26, 2011, 12:13 a.m.

How would the Rockshox Revelation be on the Six?