weareone2.jpg
Sea Otter 2019

We Are One Composites - 6 New Rims plus Bar and Stem

Words Cam McRae
Photos Cam McRae
Date Apr 16, 2019

We Are One is something of a phenom. Without carbon manufacturing experience Dustin Adams and his team set out to show that composite rims could be made in Canada at a reasonable price by a small concern. They were going head to head with ENVE, who manufactures in the U.S., but at a substantial discount. A We Are One Faction wheelset, with I9 Hydra hubs, sells for 1382 USD at current exchange rates while a competing ENVE M630 with the same hubs will cost you 2550 USD. Enough money saved to score a set of the new Coup DJ rims and probably a new bar and stem as well.

weareone5.jpg

Why would a small company launch 1 new rim when 6 is a more impressive number? In fact I'd be surprised if the largest rim manufacturers in the business launched so many rims at one time.

Beyond that WR1 has established a reputation for quality, performance and durability in a remarkably short time. Unlike many manufacturers, WR1's rims come out of the molds virtually ready for lacing. And this is all accomplished in Kamloops B.C.

After starting out with a modest product line, things have expanded dramatically as of Sea Otter 2019. Beyond releasing 6 new rims, to the 3 current models, a bar and stem are on the horizon.

weareone4.jpg

Such pretty workmanship - and they come out the molds pretty much like this. All wheels and rims include a lifetime warranty. As long as the damage occurred while you were on the bike, your rim will be replaced with a new one.

wewareone13.jpg

Reduced depth (down to 21mm) for increased radial compliance is a highlight of the new layups. We just received a set of Faction rims laced to XTR 9100 hubs for back to back testing.

weareone12

Notable among these three is the Coup DJ rim which comes only in 26" and will be ridden by Brett Rheeder. And a set with DT Swiss 350 hubs will set you back 999 USD.

weareone14.jpg

WR1's pretty little stem will be called DaStem. Dustin told me it weighs just 75 grams (35mm). The polished finish seems unlikely to reach production.

weareone10.jpg

I'm a fan of Torx hardware for everything related to or attached to the cockpit.

weareone9.jpg

The Headset Bottle Cap brought to you by 77designz. The stem may be light but it tests tough.

weareone8.jpg

DaBar was tested to DH standards and it exceeded those parameters apparently. I was told it weighs 250 g but that "it will probably lose another 20 g" before production. A small bulge in the bar keeps the sleeve (which slides on easily) in place. Sleeved bars are said to have better feel and greater strength because of fewer stress risers.

77designz1.jpg

The stem was made in partnership with Giacamo of 77designz. The initial design was his but WR1 decided to manufacture the stem themselves and make it slightly more organic.

weareone7.jpg

This more angular version is manufactured by 77designz. He also makes the Headset Bottle Cap.

Considering all the company has accomplished thus far I'm excited to see what's next from We Are One composites. For more check out their home on the web here (although the new rims, bar and stem aren't yet online and Dustin wasn't able to provide pricing just yet).

Comments

velocipedestrian
+1 IslandLife
Velocipedestrian  - April 16, 2019, 2:46 a.m.

Is the stem or the bar called "DaBar"? (I can guess, but...)

Also, a set of Coup rims fitted to DT Swiss 350 rims will be hard to ride.

Sorry to be the edit police.

LoamtoHome
Jerry Willows  - April 16, 2019, 8:24 a.m.

This comment has been removed.

morgan-heater
+2 Timer IslandLife
Morgan Heater  - April 16, 2019, 10:05 a.m.

Greater strange is super important for handlebars. I hate it when my bars are normal.

+2 DMVancouver Andrew Major
Cam McRae  - April 16, 2019, 12:16 p.m.

Good catches! I had this almost done and then I went for a ride. My buddy went OTB and disco'ed his hip. Which hurts like a mofo. He needed an EVAC As a result my final edit was done through one half open eyelid!

xy9ine
+1 Dan
Perry Schebel  - April 16, 2019, 1:14 p.m.

jesus. popping out a hip does not sound like good times at all.

ogodude
ogodude  - April 18, 2019, 12:47 p.m.

I dislocated mine going otb last summer, can confirm : hurt like a mofo until they put me to sleep and got it back in its place.  Got super lucky and spent 3 weeks in crutches only, riding the same trails 5 weeks later. Hope Cam's friend is lucky too and doesn't need surgery.

Strict physiotherapy got me riding again really quick ! As soon as that stuff can move you have to start working on it or there will be atrophy-related injuries later on.

morgan-heater
+1 Dan
Morgan Heater  - April 17, 2019, 11:39 a.m.

Ouch! Hope he's ok!

robnow
robnow  - April 16, 2019, 2:34 p.m.

Along with Faction rims laced to XTR 9100 rims!

Cam McRae  - April 16, 2019, 3:44 p.m.

The dual rim combo is soooo good!

Timer
Timer  - April 17, 2019, 5:57 a.m.

It seems like the two pictures show the  same stem by 77designz, when one of them should show the WR1 version of the stem.

slyfink
+1 nick
slyfink  - April 16, 2019, 10:06 a.m.

I recently listened to the Downtime podcast with Dustin Adams. I like where his mind is at, and I like where his products are heading. But I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed the Faction rim isn't available in 650b. I haven't bought into the wider-is-better mantra. I like 2.3 to 2.4 tires (60mm) and I'm happy with 25-26mm internal width rims.  I find that to be a happy combination of tire profile, weight, support, grip, and sidewall feel. I'd be willing to go to 27-28mm, but I'm not convinced by 30mm.

I have been hesitant to buy in to carbon rims, WR1 was the first company I'd been seriously contemplating. Maybe if I wait a little longer, the Faction will be available in 650B?

cyclotoine
cyclotoine  - April 16, 2019, 10:16 a.m.

If I look at the new line up I see some subtle messaging. The message is 27.5 is only relevant as a plus/enduro set-up and for downhill. To be honest I'm not sensitive enough to feel a difference between 27 and 30 mm internal on a Maxxis 2.3/2.4 traditional casing (i.e. not WT).

Endur-Bro
Endur-Bro  - April 16, 2019, 10:22 a.m.

Still waiting on a WAO road rim... they should probably add a gravel/CX one too.

I had a Rooxl alloy bar or something back in 99 with a sleeve between the stem clamp area. Also had tilt down tips liek a Skidoo bar.

T-mack
T-mack  - April 16, 2019, 11:29 a.m.

The Revive is the WAO answer to the cx/xc market

reini-wagner
+1 Cam McRae
Reini Wagner  - April 16, 2019, 12:17 p.m.

Ha, I still have a golden roox torque bar with that sleeve (to shim it from 22.2 to 25.4) on my kona Explosif. Love that bar... Back in the day it was outrageously wide at 735mm...and it weighs almost a pound.

Grizzle
Graham Mattingly  - April 19, 2019, 9:56 a.m.

I just realize why the mushroom like profile of the bead cross section looks familiar: Its similar to a Chromag aluminum rim, although its missing the internal hook. Still, interesting that these two companies with somewhat similar riding outlooks arrive at similar shapes. I've yet to get a chance to try either, but I'm curious as to whether those softened profiles can prevent flats when I ride.