Obsessed With Mountain Biking
The NSMB Podcast: Ben Arnott – World Cup DH Mechanic
Our guest for the latest NSMB Podcast is Ben Arnott, a World Cup downhill mechanic, engineer, and small business owner. Ben spent several years working as the head mechanic for Trek World Racing and the YT Mob and the stories from his time following the circus provide a fascinating look into the World Cup. For six of his years with the teams, Ben was also responsible for the team truck. He got to know it intimately while driving the large rig on the small, European mountain roads to each venue.
Ben recently pulled back from wrenching for World Cup athletes like Greg Williamson, Angel Suarez, and David Trummer. Instead, he's remained in Canada for the first summer since immigrating and is focused on sharpening his engineering skills with OneUp Components.
He hasn't completely left the wrenching world though and he keeps his hands busy servicing products from Formula and EXT, which he imports through his wholesale business, Alba Distribution. And while he's not currently wrenching on the World Cup, he's not saying it will never happen again.
- Finding his way as an Engineer
- Growing up in Peebles and starting the bike mechanic journey
- Landing the dream World Cup DH mechanic job
- What is a World Cup DH team Head Mechanic
- Working with Team Owner, Martin Whiteley
- First ever World Cup as a mechanic
- Learning a rider’s ways
- World Cup suspension service
- Driving the team truck around Europe
- Toolbox wars and the importance of a World Cup mechanic's tools
- Working as an engineer at Chromag and now OneUp Components
- Operating a distribution company and suspension service centre
- Finding time to ride
Links mentioned in this episode:
The NSMB Podcast: Obsessed with Mountain Biking is available on all of your favourite podcast apps: