SRAM XX1 & X01 Eagle 12spd!

Date Mar 24, 2016

SRAM Press Release
Introducing SRAM Eagle™ Technology, our most advanced and highest-performing drivetrains to date. The new XX1 and X01 drivetrains, featuring Eagle™ Technology, are collections of components that have been engineered for a whole new level of ride quality and integration. These drivetrains have not only been refined, we have torn them apart, built them up, tested, tweaked, engineered and tested again. Eagle™ Technology delivers a drivetrain that is smoother, simpler, more durable and quieter than anything you’ve ever ridden. Add to that Eagle’s massive  gear range, and you have greater freedom to ride how you want, where you want. Performance, durability, simplicity, range, freedom: Introducing Eagle™, only from SRAM.

cranks

Weighing in at 465g with a 32 tooth ring and no BB.

derailleur

Now going to 50.

shifter

12 speed is here for both XX1 and X01.

xx1_cogs

355g for a 10-50t 12 speed cassette?

xx1_specs
chains

Brand new chains are said to make 12 speed “ultra smooth.”

xo1_cranks

At 495g the X01 crankset is a mere 30g heavier than XX1.

derailleur_2

276g of parallelogramage.

shifters

Shifter. This is a shifter.

cassette_3

The text says 355g – so no heavier than the XX1.

drivetrain_specs

groups

Say things about 12 spd below. If you’d like.

Comments

March 24, 2016, 11:18 p.m. -  Drinky Crow

I'm starting to hate Sram like I used to hate Shimano.

March 24, 2016, 9 p.m. -  Andy Eunson

They ain't given that shit away. Shimano double will give that range for less and work better. Although they say they have fixed the self loosening and creaks. Somebody wanna test that for me?

March 24, 2016, 10:25 a.m. -  Cooper

I'll just leave this here…

March 24, 2016, 9:11 a.m. -  ZigaK

If somebody could measure the cog pitch on the new cassette I would be very interested.
Assuming that the overall width of the cassette didn't change (it has the same xd driver and no overhang ala shimano) the new cog pitch should be around 3.9×11/12 = 3.6 mm.

March 24, 2016, 9:14 a.m. -  Morgan Taylor

Apparently the 50T has been pushed 2mm further inboard. Can't see that helping with the tendency of 11-speed systems to drop cogs on backpedal.

March 24, 2016, 9:17 a.m. -  ZigaK

Yes, I just read that.
(3.9×11+2)/12 = 3.75, that is very close to the sram road 11sp cassette. Could prove a useful hack for someone who wants more tightly spaced gears

March 24, 2016, 9:02 a.m. -  ExtraSpecialandBitter

This is so 650b

March 24, 2016, 10:03 a.m. -  ExtraSpecialandBitter

In actual seriousness, I wonder if this means we'll be seeing an all steel SRAM 11 speed cassette (since the 10-42 of the 12 speed is steel). That'd be nice.

March 24, 2016, 8:53 a.m. -  All Gold Everything

April 1st is next week……

March 24, 2016, 8:30 a.m. -  whatyouthink

Meh…

March 24, 2016, 7:13 a.m. -  Morgan Taylor

Almost two years to the day for this to come true: http://nsmb.com/the-truth- about-11-speed/

March 24, 2016, 7:31 a.m. -  Perry Schebel

you soothsayer, you. nicely done!

March 24, 2016, 7:35 a.m. -  Morgan Taylor

In honour of my forward-thinkingness, I'm currently building a bike with retro-grouchy 2×10.

March 24, 2016, 10:21 a.m. -  Perry Schebel

I like the idea of doing a lightweight compact 2x. ie, 10-28 (or so) rear with correspondingly small front rings. something svelte and premium. get the weight off the rear. I bet weight would be close (assuming you're also relying on the fd for chain management in lieu of a front guide).

March 24, 2016, 2:35 p.m. -  Morgan Taylor

Interesting to consider. I think you'd still be limited at the long end of the gear range with a setup like that.

March 27, 2016, 5:19 p.m. -  YVR

Hence the Achilles Heel of the 1x system. Road bikes resolved this issue in the 1×5 day with an additional chainring. Now road bikes are the lightest, climb the steepest and have the range to sprint to 70 kph. In contrast, Enduro and Shore riders are attempting to 'save weight' with a 1x with crazy gear jumps while running a chain guide.

March 27, 2016, 10:35 p.m. -  Morgan Taylor

This cassette gives 1x riders more gear range than any road double combination you can make up. Sure, some of the jumps between gears are larger, but people don't seem to care. It's not all about weight. It's about sound, simplicity, and riding rad stuff.

March 28, 2016, 9:58 a.m. -  YVR

Adding range is easy. Entry-level department store MTBs have had the pie plate large cog 'climbing gear' for years … on 8-speed - doesn't make it an engineering marvel. Chain drops during back-pedaling, extra-long derailleur cages, fitment issues between frame designs, huge jumps between cogs and $400 cassettes are not 'sound', 'simple' or 'rad'. They represent a engineering de- evolution, not revolution. Pick a side - climbing ability or speed. Attempting to mix both together in a single cassette is bush-league.

March 28, 2016, 10:50 a.m. -  Morgan Taylor

Copy that and send it in to Uncle Dave, you're onto something.

March 24, 2016, 9:07 a.m. -  Tim Ambler

It sure would be nice if they started to offer different size cassettes on these systems like the old days. I'm no retro-grouch; 11-spd, 12-spd, 18-spd is fine by me. But jumping from 6T from 36T to 42T is noticeably annoying so 42T to 50T is going to feel even worse. It's fine for them to offer a 50T cassette for someone who just wants the bailout but I'd love to see a 12-spd 10-44 cassette to give me better jumps and I'll run a suitable chainring for my terrain.

March 24, 2016, 9:14 a.m. -  Morgan Taylor

Sounds to me like you're better off in the Shimano camp for now. They even named it Rhythm Step.

March 24, 2016, 10:07 a.m. -  Nat Brown

The 10-12 shift is (ever so slightly) larger in proportion. (Which doesn't refute your point.)

March 24, 2016, 10:04 a.m. -  Nat Brown

You beat me to it- before I finished reading the first paragraph I thought I would post a link your article on this.