nsmb_2018_2minute_gearreview_wolftooth_sustain_reverblever-4022.jpg
Two-Minute Review

Second Perspective: Wolftooth ReMote Sustain for Reverb

Words Perry Schebel
Photos Perry Schebel
Date May 17, 2018

For as long as dropper posts have been widely available, I've run the venerable RockShox Reverb exclusively on my personal bikes. I've no particular loyalty to the product. They were either a really good deal, or came stock. I may be a bit of an outlier, but the Reverbs I've owned have been generally solid performers. While they get the job done just fine, the ergonomics of the hydraulic plunger release button* sucks, and having to periodically bleed the system is a pain in the ass. Not to mention the relative fragility of the system. That SRAM is the only post manufacturer using a fluid-filled actuator causes one to say: hmmm.

*currently being phased out in favour of the 1x Remote Lever

nsmb_2018_2minute_gearreview_wolftooth_sustain_reverblever-4059.jpg

I can't say I'm fond of the standard Reverb actuator.

This is where the life-improving widget-making stalwarts, Wolf Tooth come in. Wolf Tooth has been fairly adept at finding ways to add performance and/or economy to a variety of products manufactured by the Big Two component manufacturers, SRAM and Shimano. The ReMote Sustain kit replaces the stock hydraulic release bits of your stealth Reverb with a cable actuated lever. I like the premise. Lets take a look at how it works.

nsmb_2018_2minute_gearreview_wolftooth_sustain_reverblever-4017.jpg

Here's the Sustain kit as it comes on the bag, along with the requisite installation hardware.

Compatibility (before you break out the credit card): This is compatible only with the A2 or B1 spec Reverb posts – A1 is not supported (check here to find out how to identify which is yours). There's a variety of lever mounting options offered – brake mounts for SRAM, Shimano, and Magura, as well as an independent bar mount. I went with the matchmaker option.

nsmb_2018_2minute_gearreview_wolftooth_sustain_reverblever-4035.jpg

Here's the nicely whittled lever, with fat sealed bearing.

Installation

Bolting the thing on is a fairly straightforward job. There's a comprehensive installation guide here. I won't bother to re-hash the process in detail, as they do such a good job, but you're essentially just unscrewing the old actuator (which entails pulling a circlip to reveal the wrench flats on the inner shaft), and bolting on the new.

nsmb_2018_2minute_gearreview_wolftooth_sustain_reverblever-4024.jpg

New vs. old actuators. Neat detail – the cable end is in a fixed position, so its effectively pushing with the housing.

nsmb_2018_2minute_gearreview_wolftooth_sustain_reverblever-4032.jpg

After removing a circlip, you can push push out the guts to reveal the wrench flats that will allow you to unbolt the old actuator.

nsmb_2018_2minute_gearreview_wolftooth_sustain_reverblever-4043.jpg

My (relatively primitive) bike doesn't sport internal cable routing tubes. Using a finishing nail (with head cut off) to join the old Reverb hose to the new cable housing made chasing the cable through the frame a quick and pain free procedure.

The lever: Andrew has previously reviewed the ReMote lever – I'll re-iterate that it's a nicely machined, great feeling lever. It's got a good range of positioning adjustment, a nice and grippy serrated thumb surface, and it hinges on a spiffy large diameter sealed bearing for smooth operation and longevity.

nsmb_2018_2minute_gearreview_wolftooth_sustain_reverblever-4047.jpg

Solid ergonomics going on here.

Function

The Wolftooth cable actuated lever does its duties diligently. Actuation is a bit heavier than some cable actuated droppers, but ergonomics are great – much improved over the original. A fine upgrade over the factory plunger, in my opinion. The kit that I used retails at 94.95 USD (price varies a bit depending on which lever interface you chose).

More information on the Remote Sustain for Reverb check out the Wolf Tooth Components website.

Comments

Vik Banerjee  - May 17, 2018, 5:47 a.m.

I've put years on Reverbs with no post failures or maintenance for that matter. I have bled the remote lines a couple times a year. Like you the only complaint I had was the remote ergonomics. Good to see another under the bar thumb lever option.

If you want lighter lever action it seems WT has a solution: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/remote-light-action   I don't know if you can get the complete Reverb kit with this lever though.

xy9ine
Perry Schebel  - May 17, 2018, 9:20 a.m.

That is the light action lever that I have. Not a big deal, but I thought it worth noting that a bit more lever effort is required than most cable actuated droppers I've tried.

joseph-crabtree
+1 Luix
Joseph Crabtree  - May 17, 2018, 7:58 a.m.

I've got a Bike yoke DeHy cable kit one one bike and the new 1x remote on another,The cable is better than the plunger remote but the smooth and east action of the 1x gets my vote.A bleed twice a year is a small trade off.

I've switched the remote on the DeHy kit to a Wolftooth trying to get a smoother stroke but no luck so went with a slick cable and housing and it still feels rougher than the Reverb 1x setup.

Around $90 USD for ether cable kit or $100 for the Reverb 1x kit.The choice is yours.

shoreboy
+2 Mammal pedalhound
Shoreboy  - May 17, 2018, 8:13 a.m.

Bravo to Wolftooth for innovating a fix for SRAMs terrible remote.  Still a case of lipstick on a pig in my opinion.  Sure the remote might feel better, but it doesnt fix the problems inherent in the Reverb post itself.

dan_l
+2 Luix Mammal
dan_l  - May 17, 2018, 2:06 p.m.

The A1 and A2 reverbs weren't very good. They went to the plastic IFP in the A2 which at least alleviated the issue with ruining the IFP tube but it did not solve the issue with air getting into the system. They put the proper IFP seal in the B1 versions and I have yet to have an issue. I could kill a plastic IFP A2 reverb in 5 months time. The B1 has been going for 15-16 months at this point. I ride a lot, that is 2500-3000 off road miles.

I've never experienced issues with either remote lever. They both have been great and I trust them as much as I do my hydraulic brakes.

I also have an X-Fusion manic with a cable actuated post. I prefer the direct feel of the reverb lever. The reverb is also overall a lighter post.

You would be crazy to pay the asking price for a reverb though. The Manic is the post to get if you are spending your cash and just want to turn miles.

doug-m
Doug M.  - May 18, 2018, 9:21 a.m.

How do you like the position of the Light Action lever with the Matchmaker set up? Do you find it to be too far to the outside/left? I'm debating between Matchmaker and 22.2 clamp. (Nick of time, just about to order one of these)

xy9ine
+1 Doug M.
Perry Schebel  - May 18, 2018, 5 p.m.

*runs out to bike to check*. there's a resonable range of lateral adjustment, but I do run the lever fully to the right. it's in a perfect position as is (running avid trail brakes). guides have a bit shorter lever blade, so may result in the dropper lever encroaching the grip a little, which may or may not be acceptable in your case, depending on how you like your brake positioned in relation to the grip.

doug-m
Doug M.  - May 19, 2018, 10:54 a.m.

Thanks! Looking closer at your setup, I think the matchmaker is gonna be fine. Wouldn't be right if I wasn't dithering over millimeters on a fancy plaything :-p

impossiblegameaz
Impossible Game  - May 21, 2018, 8:38 p.m.

Thanks for your article! I have read through some similar topics! However, your post has given me a very special impression, unlike other posts. I hope you continue to have valuable articles like this or more to share with everyone!

ankie149
ankie149  - July 23, 2018, 8:18 a.m.

This post is really special for me and I want to request just give me some new ideas which make a free games gin rummy and I hope you will continue post as like this gin-rummy.