POV Video

Gully Rides Ladies Only

Video Geoff Gulevich
Date May 10, 2017

One of the classic Shore trails has been getting some love lately. Hop aboard with Gully and get a taste of Ladies Only from one of the masters... But why not footage of Bart's Bridge Geoff?

Comments

Xorrox
Brad_xyz  - May 10, 2017, 7:36 p.m.

I was excited to see how a pro would ride the most technical part of the trail (the eroded rock followed by the ackward root hole just above a steep rock ramp) but it looks as if they edited that part of the footage out :(

Cam McRae  - May 10, 2017, 10:26 p.m.

I have ridden that trail hundreds of times but I'm not sure what part you mean. Bart's Bridge? Is there a ramp just before? I wanted to see that as well if that's what you mean.

Xorrox
Brad_xyz  - May 11, 2017, 7:02 a.m.

I think you and I are mainly talking about the same thing.  There is a ramp leading into an eroded rock than I've never been able to clean properly (about a 1/4 way down upper ladies) and I'm curious if most people go around on the right or left or straight over.

Then about 20 seconds further down there is this small, relatively insignificant root hole beside a tree just above a small but steep rock ramp that still intimidates me - I've cleaned it once but also bailed down the ramp once which probably makes it a bigger deal in my head than it should be.  I found another video by 'DangerousDave' that shows these two sections on another website (0:51 and 1:11 of the 4:05 long video) but I'm not sure you want me linking that here!

stringaling
stringaling  - May 11, 2017, 9:52 a.m.

Skinny bridge over a log leading into jank, there is a 'Bart Simpson' mask nailed to a tree right at the start of the skinny.

stringaling
stringaling  - May 11, 2017, 9:53 a.m.

I'm with you Brad - was watching to see how he managed that section of trail.  That tight section with the giant root hole beside out always psyches me out.

Pete Roggeman  - May 11, 2017, 12:56 p.m.

Go ahead and link the other video, Brad, we're cool. If we're going to get nerdy about sections of Ladies Only in here, let's do it right.

qduffy
qduffy  - May 13, 2017, 7:39 p.m.

I know the exact spot and I've never got through there cleanly either. Maybe it's been filled in now. Always the most nerve wracking part of the trail for me.

xy9ine
Perry Schebel  - May 11, 2017, 10:39 a.m.

this section? pre paving photo.

Xorrox
Brad_xyz  - May 11, 2017, 2:39 p.m.

Yep, ^ that's the 'root hole' I was talking about.

Here is the other video: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/451832/

Like I said, the rock I was talking about is at 0:51 and then very simple looking root hole at roughly 1:11.  'Dangerous Dave' makes both look easy but then again he is a trials master:)

DangerousDave
DangerousDave  - May 12, 2017, 10:48 p.m.

Both those lines are really tech. Ladies never feels like a 'stop and session' kind of trail to me, but I might have to stop to eye up those lines.

On the first section you're talking about, I've tried both the left and right lines and couldn't find the flow on either. Those two big roots coming out of the tree at the bottom make the final left turn really challenging. I find it awkward to make a hard right to go across the rock after the ramp, but then you have a better line coming in to the final left. Ideally you would just straight line after the ramp, boost off that top root and gap down, removing the rooty corner from the equation :)

For the second section, the only way I can think of to make that line flow is to drop off the root and use the rock as a tranny. Otherwise you just have to put up with the awkward roll.

thebikingbuddha
Jas Dhiman  - May 11, 2017, 11:22 a.m.

A great classic trail, thanks for the video and thanks Digger for the always great work on it.

tungsten
Drinky Crow  - May 11, 2017, 8:08 p.m.

Does Digger ride everything he builds?

Mic
Mic  - May 17, 2017, 11:48 p.m.

Why?