Goggles on the Half Shell?

Words Dave Tolnai
Date Jul 27, 2015

Dear uncle Dave,

Why do enduro riders feel the need to wear goggles with there half lid helmets? This look is atrocious. What’s wrong with just wearing Sunglasses anymore? Do they realize how goofy they look?

Thanks,

Anti half-helmet and goggles advocate

Dear Aggy:

I think you’re really on to something here. Remember a few years ago when all the downhillers got together and agreed to keep their visors on and never wear skinsuits so that they didn’t look stupid for all the TV exposure that they never received? I think you’re right. I think we need an ‘Enduro’ Charter of Rights and Freedoms where everybody who swings a leg over an ‘Enduro’ bike agrees to not look stupid. Man. It’s going to take a lot of work.

While we’re at it, we should fix some other sports with image problems. Formula 1 fans complain every year that the cars look bad. Maybe they could all agree to compete in Rolls Royces, Bentleys, 7 Series and S Classes?  That would look way classier. Bespoke suits and top hats all the way around, as well.

Horse Racing has to be just about the dumbest looking sport in the world. The horses can stay, but everything else? Why are all the rider guys so small? We need to institute some weight and height minimums. And what’s with the pajamas? The bespoke suits and top hats idea from above could work here as well.

Maybe that's where Enduro stole this trend from?

Maybe that’s where Enduro stole this trend from?

Hmmm…what else, what else. Motocross riders look pretty silly. But if we force them to change, then what look are mountain bikers going to imitate? And let’s not ever start with football, with their tight pants. Hockey with their shorts?  In winter?  The list is endless.

Or.

Or, you could stop worrying about it. Why do you care if some guy chooses to strap his eye protection to his face?  I was just recently at a Scott product launch and they lent us all goggles and it was awesome. They kept the dust and the rain and the rocks out of my eyes and they were comfortable and I strapped them to my half shell and I was proud to do so. It looked great. It was totally ‘Enduro.’

We’re mountain bikers. We already look kind of stupid and have people make fun of us. The goggles don’t matter.

Oh. Prize givers…Please track down a nice pair of goggles as the prize for this week. Please.

Sorry,
Dave

Almost forgot! This week's prize is the Shore Goggle from Ryders. We've found them to be some of the best for staying fog free in nasty conditions - half shell or full face!

Almost forgot! This week’s prize is the Shore Goggle from Ryders. We’ve found them to be some of the best for staying fog free in nasty conditions – half shell or full face!

Style or function?

Comments

Lalena
Lalena Desautels  - April 24, 2016, 7:39 a.m.

Has anyone ever seen the sliced nose that can happen after crashing at high speed wearing sunglasses with your half shell lid? It's nasty.

yeahright
Yeahright  - April 23, 2016, 10:24 p.m.

Keep the sweat out of my eyes in summer, keep the crap out of eyes all year around, my question is Why wouldn't you wear them? Who cares what people think? Otherwise we would be all laughing at the bikes we ride next, or the socks we wear……

steve
Steve  - April 24, 2016, 4:36 a.m.

i avoid wearing them even in the bikepark with my fullface on… i get too damn hot. even in close to freezing temps just before the park closed leading into winter (there was pockets of snow on the ground) i ended up taking my googles off and throwing the sunglasses on. only if its really dusty would i put them on (full or half shell…)

rob-youblind
Rob Youblind  - April 24, 2016, 6:29 a.m.

Sounds like you need to get some new goggles bro.

extraspecialandbitter
ExtraSpecialandBitter  - July 30, 2015, 10:52 p.m.

Cycling Cap.
Your mind will be blown. Just as effective as goggles, no fogging, almost as hipster as 650b wheels and steel hardtails.
And you can look fantastic.

john-canfield
John Canfield  - July 29, 2015, 5:36 p.m.

Goggles are awesome to race in. They keep dust out of your eyes- which is particularly valuable when you are trying to overtake on a dry track.

They also keep mud out of your eyes when its wet- on a normal ride when you get mud in your eyeball, you stop and sort it out. Racing isn't like that. But of course you knew that.

essfour
essfour  - July 28, 2015, 9:37 a.m.

Why is a half shell with goggles okay for skiers and snowboarders but not okay for mountain bikers? I'm confused.

andy-eunson
Andy Eunson  - July 28, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

The only way to keep falling snow out of your eyes while skiing is goggles. And the speeds on snow are way higher than riding. I can't ski in sunglasses because my eyes will water unless it's really warm out. The cold winter air seems to cause my eyes to water more. I rarely wear any eye-ware riding in winter because I have a serious fogging issue. I do get watery eyes often enough at the start of a downhill trail though but it clears up after a short distance.

The no lycra and keep the visor thing is just stupid. Visors were invented to keep roost from the rider in front of you from hitting your goggles and from sliding off the helmet onto said goggles. If the UCI says wear protective clothing that's reasonable. But when races are won and lost by fractions of seconds in a speed sport I really don't understand why riders wouldn't insist on aero clothing and ditching the visor unless its raining where a visor helps.

matt
Matt  - July 30, 2015, 9:29 a.m.

How would a visor keep roost from hitting your goggles, roost usually comes directly from the front… They were invented to keep the sun out of your eyes.

andy-eunson
Andy Eunson  - July 30, 2015, 12:22 p.m.

Lot's of the rooster tail of dirt is overhead and a rider can also duck briefly to protect the goggles if another rider in front cuts across his path or the rider cuts across to change line. Lots also will land on top of the helmet and slide down onto goggles if there is no visor. Visors aren't for the sun although you can use them that way. Dark lenses are for sun. If you put the visor low enough to shade the sun you may obscure your vision for low branches and stuff on mountain bike rides.

matt
Matt  - Aug. 2, 2015, 5:52 p.m.

Really, an answer from a random person on Yahoo? That random person is saying it's to block roost in MX and also for the sun. Pretty sure they were invented before MX… I've used them plenty of times on my dirtbike to block the glare of the sun, just tilt your head down a bit. I don't ride MX though, so what do I know.

andy-eunson
Andy Eunson  - Aug. 2, 2015, 6:43 p.m.

No my friends that used to race moto told me that.

rob-youblind
Rob Youblind  - April 24, 2016, 6:31 a.m.

Andy Eunson doesnt know sh*t

litespeed74
litespeed74  - July 28, 2015, 7:14 a.m.

"Uh..Oh…The Goggles….THEY DO NOTHING!"

cxt3000
cxt3000  - July 28, 2015, 4:09 a.m.

Yep, can't always rely on a pair of shades to protect your eyes. And also can't always rely on a pair of goggles not to fog up. So I use whatever suits me that given day. And glasses on a half shel don't always look good. A nice pair of goggles with mirror lens so people can't see your dumb look when things go south 🙂

hoz
Hoz  - July 28, 2015, 3:03 a.m.

Nailed it Dave. Love ya work. And those Ryders goggles look sweet! I'd be damned happy protecting my eyes with those on my half shell (and fullface)…..if Aggy doesn't want em', I'll give em' a home

andy-eunson
Andy Eunson  - July 27, 2015, 10:35 p.m.

Couldn't agree more Unca Dave.