Ergon GE1 Grips AndrewM
TWO-MINUTE REVIEWS

Ergon GE1 Evo Slim Grips

Words Andrew Major
Photos Andrew Major
Date Oct 17, 2017

Ergon Evo GE1 Slim Grips

I think the GE1 Evo Slim lock-on grip is an interesting option for anyone who prefers the feel of thin grips but can't ride them due to hand pain or numbing. The GE1 increases damping and forgiveness compared to any thin lock-on grip I've tried thanks to a unique shape that focuses material where I'm applying pressure to the bar.

Ergon GE1 Grips AndrewM

Thanks to Cam for my new favourite neurosis. The orientation of ODI lock-on clamp screws, with one pointing back and one forward on each side, never used to bother me...

Ergon GE1 Grips AndrewM

Seriously though... how hard is it to make clamps so all the screw heads point the same way? Nicely done Ergon. The GE1 grips flare at the end to encourage an aggressive elbows out riding position. Including red there are 6 colour options and these are available in slim (avg. 30mm) or regular (avg. 32mm). Both thicknesses are 135mm in length.

Ergon says the shape of the GE1 Evo supports a better riding position with wide bars. The offset shape is designed to have the rider automatically bend elbows outwards for technical riding positioning the upper body, forearms, and hands optimally.

Like riding an oval chainring, it's a strange shape to take in but feels very natural in use. I noticed my hands were less sore after long descents compared to other lock-on grips I've used without any performance tradeoff.

MSRP for the GE1 Evo grips (slim or otherwise) is £34.95 US$34.95 €34.95 and CDN$46.95.

For more information on the Ergon GE1 Evo check here.

Comments

tashi
tashi  - Oct. 17, 2017, 8:33 a.m.

Ergons have been some of my favourite grips to use - But then I wreck a couple of times and the hard plastic inner sleeve, that's also the bar end cap (seems smart right?), cracks and the grip never stays put again.  Such a bummer for the one grip that ever fit perfectly and helped with the numbness in my hands and arms.  And costs like $50 at the LBS.

So far the PRO is a really close substitute, if only I could find the 30mm diameter for my trump-size hands.

AndrewMajor
Andrew Major  - Oct. 17, 2017, 10:57 a.m.

I have yet to try a PRO grip that I like. What model are you running?

I've had a couple of janky awkward sideways falls but no impacts hard enough to damage the grip. Definitely had not considered that a hard punch to the outside could render the lock-on function useless but it makes sense if it is all one sleeve and said sleeve gets cracked.

I also have the best and bigly-est trumpian hands and find that most grips are sad. My personal preference (write-up coming in the future) is to glue-and-wire on a set of Renthal slip-on grips. More work that lock-ons but with no hard plastic inner shell a thin grip can offer surprisingly good damping and, in the case of Renthal, the slip-ons are the same total length as the lock-ons with clamps so the usable grip is actually quite a bit longer.

Slip-on + glue (or hairspray) & wire is also a lot cheaper for us sporran sporters.

gdharries
Geof Harries  - Oct. 17, 2017, 12:30 p.m.

I loved the original Ergon GA1 grips for my big hands: They were fat and chunky in all the right places, preventing cramps and warding off fatique. Unfortunately, Ergon discontinued the GA1 model.

It took me few years of searching for a suitable GA1 replacement and it came in the form of Chromag Squarewave XL grips that I believe are 34-35 mm in diameter.

tashi
tashi  - Oct. 17, 2017, 7:03 p.m.

I'm using the PRO ergonomic race in 32mm diameter. They're like the XT of grips: really good but not the best.  the Ergons I've tried are XTR, just slightly better and basically perfect. But I break them. I bet if I drilled the end and used a plug...too much work for me. I'm an XT guy.

andy-eunson
+1 Andrew Major
Andy Eunson  - Oct. 17, 2017, 9:50 a.m.

I've been using these all season in the fatter size. I detest thin grips as they seem to pound into my hands and bring pain and cramping. The best compliment I can give the 32mm grips is that I don't notice them.

AndrewMajor
Andrew Major  - Oct. 17, 2017, 10:52 a.m.

Thanks to the shape the fatter version certainly don't feel as large as other grips with the same average dimension while at the same time the thin version don't feel as thin (hard) as other lock-on grips of the same dimension.

Pretty awesome product all around.

SlimFordy
Simon Ford  - Oct. 17, 2017, 12:09 p.m.

They also add about 5mm in width to the bars. Made my renthol fatbar lites the perfect width

AndrewMajor
Andrew Major  - Oct. 17, 2017, 12:19 p.m.

Even just ditching the outer clamp makes a positive difference.

Ergon
+2 Darryl Chereshkoff Tjaard Breeuwer
Ergon  - Oct. 18, 2017, 12:13 p.m.

You may want to make sure you have them installed all the way on your handlebar to the internal auto-stop. Installed properly, they GE1 models will add about 1mm of handlebar width to each side.

MikeMc
+1 Andrew Major
Mike McArthur  - Oct. 17, 2017, 2:47 p.m.

Am a GE1 fan after years of everything but Ergon. Haven't tried slims, but would be interested in the softer version announced recently. No issues with inner clamp-only for riding...and it is easier on the drywall. The 150 reviews are spot on Andrew and say you should keep it up.

velocipedestrian
Velocipedestrian  - Oct. 18, 2017, 2:36 p.m.

For the pedants among us, ODI clamps can be popped off and switched around to ones preferred orientation.

AndrewMajor
Andrew Major  - Oct. 18, 2017, 2:40 p.m.

I have ODI clamps that have been through 4+ grip inserts - so I’ve popped and installed lots of clamps - I don’t see anyway to have all four grip clamps with the bolt heads sharing the same orientation.

velocipedestrian
Velocipedestrian  - Oct. 18, 2017, 5:39 p.m.

Switch clamps from two sets of grips?

AndrewMajor
+1 Tim Coleman
Andrew Major  - Oct. 18, 2017, 6:12 p.m.

No, that’s the issue. All the clamps are identical (one SKU) which is why the hex heads point willy-nilly. ODI (and every knock-off system) would have to manufacture more clamp varieties to have all the hex bolts oriented the same way.

Not a performance issue at all and probably moot since even ODI has moved to a different system but for legacy grips - just a nice attention to detail for the OCD among us from Ergon.

Endur-Bro
Endur-Bro  - Oct. 18, 2017, 5:26 p.m.

I was interested in these grips. Tried the Renthal Kevlartraction grips instead. Might’ve been a mistake.

AndrewMajor
Andrew Major  - Oct. 18, 2017, 5:34 p.m.

Traction grips are so awesome riding (just need to be wider) but these are definitely more comfy on a long ride and would be a better choice for folks that get a lot of numbing issues.

I have the TG Kevlar on another bike (nicely broken in) and they aren’t going anywhere.