Super 8
Some Christmas Cheer

Dear Santa - Tim's List

Words Tim Coleman
Photos Dave Smith and Google Images
Date Dec 13, 2017

Dear Santa,

Off the hop 2017 has been a fantastic year. I think I've been particularly well behaved too. So Santa, I'm fairly sure you'll agree, I must be on the "Good List." I've gone and acquired almost everything I desire, so there really isn't much I want. With only a few requests for this Christmas, I'm hoping you can make the following happen:

1. Some Style

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my riding is completely devoid of style. I have that angry crab racer thing down pat. But I've always been so impressed with those gorgeous, shoulder buzzing, one foot tables. You know the sort, the perpendicular near vertical bike, with the one foot dangling across the top tube. I have no idea how to work up to that move. Maybe I'm too old. Santa if you could drop off an instruction video, coaching classes, or some applicable exercises, that'd be most appreciated.

Table.jpg

I love this style.

2. Waterproof Shorts

I really like riding through the winter. I love the sound of the rain falling and agglomerating into burbling brooks. I love the whimsical clouds that drift through the trees. I love how everything has a different degree of grip to offer, from none at all to sticky hero dirt. What I don't love is swamp ass and cleaning up afterwards. A pair of waterproof shorts to keep my tushy drier would take care of dislike #1. I'm all ears for suggestions on dislike #2.

race face agent.jpg

Waterproof shorts like the Race Face Agent would be perfect for winter riding around these parts.

3. We Are One Agent wheel set

I've been really impressed with the We Are One wheel set I've been reviewing so far. They've been thoroughly thrashed all summer, and continue to impress. I'm now in the wet months where we'll see if the Project 321 hubs prove their worth. Based on my experience so far, I'd love a set of these for Christmas.

nsmb_2017_gearreview_weareone_wheels-2049.jpg

Some lovely, local Canadian made hoops would go nicely under the tree

4. IWC Pilot's Watch

I'm a huge fan of mechanical watches. It's been a year since my last notable acquisition, and my wandering eyes are already looking around. After visiting the home of IWC in Schaffhausen, Switzerland their watches have caught my desire. I rather fancy their Pilot's Watches and Spit Fire series. Gorgeous pieces of man jewelery.

IWC Pilots Watch.jpg

The IWC Pilot's Watch Chronograph ... ummmmm um

5. Vintage DH Bike

I've always loved those crap car challenges on Top Gear, and I think vintage car racing is neat. Over some beers a few of us devised a mashup version for bikes; vintage DH bike race class. The rule book is growing in length, but basically the bike has to be old, cheap, heavy and pretty crap. Perry can even bring his BMW. I can't wait. Santa if you have an old DH bike lying around the shop, I'd love to take it off your hands.

Super8.jpg

Huba huba.

Is there a vintage bike you'd love to hang on the garage wall?

Tags: Christmas List, Dear Santa
Posted in: Features, Gear

Comments

JBV
James Vasilyev  - Dec. 12, 2017, 11:59 p.m.

a watch for dirty rotten scoundrels...

fartymarty
fartymarty  - Dec. 13, 2017, 12:11 a.m.

I've got a Keewee Cromo 8 frame I have had on sale on Pinkbike for ever if anyone is after an awesome old DH frame....

Part of me wants to keep it for my kids once they are big enough to ride it.  The other part of me would like to see someone else get some fun out if it like the Keewee K98 I sold earlier this year to an old skool DH fanatic.

Great idea for a race format though.

Timmigrant
Tim Coleman  - Dec. 13, 2017, 8:27 a.m.

What year is your KeeWee Cromo 8?

hankthespacecowboy
+1 Beau Miller
hankthespacecowboy  - Dec. 13, 2017, 6:08 a.m.

I'm all about the vintage DH racing concept. The article about the Balfa BB7 nearly sidetracked my quest for a new squishy bike... Curious what the rulebook is looking like for your vintage DH series?

Timmigrant
+2 hankthespacecowboy Beau Miller
Tim Coleman  - Dec. 13, 2017, 8:35 a.m.

A Balfa BB7 is high on my want list for this racing category. The rules are an ebb and flow sort of thing:

Rule #1 Under $700 for the entire bike

Rule #2 2003 or older

Rule #3 Modern helmet without visor or period correct helmet. Sunglasses or period correct goggles

Rule #4 As many period correct parts on bike

Rule #5 9 speeds max

Rule #6 Single chain ring, the bigger the better

Rule #7 Double crown fork

Rule #8 Don’t be a dick

Rule #9 Min weight 40 lbs. Rocks will be applied to underweight bikes with duct tape. You don’t pick the locations.

Rule #10 Only Maxxis tire allowed is the Mobster, maybe a High Roller

Rule #11 Max bar width and wheel size is 26". Because #26forlyfe

Rule #12 25 minute time penalty for Intense M1 and Iron Horse Sunday. Those are cheating.

bart
+2 Cooper Quinn Tim Coleman
bart  - Dec. 13, 2017, 9:14 a.m.

Are Hucktails allowed?  of course with same parts spec and dual crown fork - perhaps a Morphine with gazzi's?

Timmigrant
+2 bart AJ Barlas
Tim Coleman  - Dec. 13, 2017, 9:49 a.m.

Oh hardtails are absolutely allowed. My first DH race was done on a hardtail with a 7" double crown fork. Thems my roots!

cooperquinn
Cooper Quinn  - Dec. 13, 2017, 2:40 p.m.

Allowed?!

They're ENCOURAGED.

But, keep in mind, they're subject to the same weight restrictions as squishy bikes.

+1 Tim Coleman
Pete Roggeman  - Dec. 13, 2017, 10:28 a.m.

Rule #4 needs a bit of work, methinks. Not enough incentive for ppl to go the extra mile. What if I add a Titec Hellbent saddle - and about 2.4 lbs - to the mix?

Rule #10 - High Rollers were all the rage back then. Mobsters were bike park fodder. But anyway, where would anyone find one?

Timmigrant
Tim Coleman  - Dec. 13, 2017, 12:37 p.m.

There are plenty of Mobsters on bikes on PinkBike buy and sell.

AJ_Barlas
+2 Tim Coleman Cooper Quinn
AJ Barlas  - Dec. 13, 2017, 2:35 p.m.

Roll out the Michelin Comp 16s and the Azonic Big Boy saddles. Pre Hayes HFX 9 brakes too!

cooperquinn
Cooper Quinn  - Dec. 13, 2017, 2:36 p.m.

Its all about the "spirit" of the rules here, especially for #4.

Show up with anything brand new and shiny*...... that's gonna be a penalty. Something like a Hellbent saddle is probably going to escape the judges ire.

*The exception is handlebars. You're allowed to swap bars, for safety, to a new bar. However, it must be reduced in width to 26" or less.

+1 Tim Coleman
Pete Roggeman  - Dec. 14, 2017, 9:13 a.m.

I forgot to ask: What trail will be used as the race course for this? That answer will carry eeyuge consequences.

cooperquinn
+1 Tim Coleman
Cooper Quinn  - Dec. 14, 2017, 1:04 p.m.

Standard Fiver courses.

Timmigrant
Tim Coleman  - Dec. 14, 2017, 1:06 p.m.

Most likely CBC and or Ned's.

xy9ine
+1 Tim Coleman
Perry Schebel  - Dec. 13, 2017, 10:42 a.m.

i don't need any more bikes in my garage, but damn i like this format. that said, i'd relax all rules except for 1, 2, & 8 to encourage more participation / allow people to dust off whatever old iron they have kicking about. fully rigid clunker lining up with a 50lb tank bike? all good.

Timmigrant
Tim Coleman  - Dec. 13, 2017, 12:36 p.m.

These are less rules and more guidelines. Run what ya brung, but beware that anything deemed advantageous will be heavily penalized.

cooperquinn
+1 Tim Coleman
Cooper Quinn  - Dec. 13, 2017, 2:32 p.m.

Think of it as LeMons rules, Perry.

All rules are hard and fast rules; all competitors and judges can be bribed with libations appropriate to the severity of the infraction.

The M1 rule was actually crafted in the spirit of the E30 rule - an automatic 50 lap penalty.

extraspecialandbitter
+1 Tim Coleman
ExtraSpecialandBitter  - Dec. 13, 2017, 12:09 p.m.

I have a 2002 ish Super T if anyone needs to retro out their bike.  It's heavy and flexy.

gdharries
Geof Harries  - Dec. 13, 2017, 8:02 p.m.

Shoot, I can hit most of your rules, minus #7 and #9 with my sorely underweight (just over 27 lbs) 2002 Cove Handjob XC

My 2002 Cove Handjob XC

cooperquinn
+1 Tim Coleman
Cooper Quinn  - Dec. 14, 2017, 9:11 a.m.

Boy. We're gonna need a lot of rocks and tape to bring that up to fighting weight.

whatyouthink
+2 Beau Miller Tim Coleman
whatyouthink  - Dec. 13, 2017, 7:19 a.m.

not to say i can do nasty shoulder buzzing tables but everything i have seen is if you lay on your back with your bike, you can practice that motion to understand how your arms and legs have to move to create that shape. easy safe way of practicing. the rest is commitment

Timmigrant
Tim Coleman  - Dec. 13, 2017, 8:28 a.m.

Hey that's a great tip, I'll be trying that. Thanks!

Kevin26
+1 Tim Coleman
Kevin26  - Dec. 13, 2017, 9:10 a.m.

I think these guys instructional videos are hit or miss but this one hits everything I've worked on

For me learning to wrap the wrist around the bar you are pulling across your body was a big step and since then I've been working on the legs and hips

trumpstinyhands
+1 Tim Coleman
trumpstinyhands  - Dec. 13, 2017, 7:46 a.m.

I've got one of those Super 8s under my bed!

Timmigrant
Tim Coleman  - Dec. 14, 2017, 1:08 p.m.

Did you want to sell / donate it to the cause?

DaveSmith
+1 Tim Coleman
Dave Smith  - Dec. 13, 2017, 2:53 p.m.

re: item 1 on this list. This is a gift for me as well - i should really add it to my list.

Timmigrant
Tim Coleman  - Dec. 14, 2017, 1:20 p.m.

Maybe we can go practice on our backs together ...

Hepcat
+2 Tim Coleman Cooper Quinn
Beau Miller  - Dec. 13, 2017, 8:37 p.m.

This is the greatest idea in the history of mtb.

9, taping rocks. ★★★★★

fed
+1 Tim Coleman
fed  - Dec. 14, 2017, 5:52 a.m.

Hi Tim, Those We are one Agent wheel set seem very interesting, have you ridden The Santa Cruz Reserve wheel set? if differences between the two etc.  Thanks a lot, and happy Holidays

Timmigrant
Tim Coleman  - Dec. 14, 2017, 1:19 p.m.

Hey Fed, I haven't had a chance to demo the new Santa Cruz Reserve wheels, but I sure would like to. With Hope hubs the We Are One wheels come in a $600 cheaper than the Santa Cruz Reserve. I'd say the Hope and DT hubs are comparable. Considering the success I've had with the We Are One wheels, I think the $600 CDN differential would be hard to overcome to justify the Santa Cruz wheels. Weight is comparable, durability of the We Are One has been fantastic, fit of tires is excellent, the quality and finish of the We Are One are outstanding.

Side note: I'm a fan of DT Swiss hubs, so I'd like to see a We Are One wheelset with those hubs in the future. It'd also make comparison of wheels a bit easier.

Second side note: for $75 more than the Reserve you can get the We Are One with the Project 321 hubs, which is the variant I'm testing. These hubs have been outstanding so far. If you desire a fast engagement hub these are the best I've tested so far. The friction is minimal, the sound isn't obnoxious, and the freehub is really slick with the magnetic pawls.