dakine-hot-laps-gripper-120119-ajbarlas-00473.jpg
Two-Minute Review

Dakine Hot Laps Gripper Storage Solution

Words AJ Barlas
Photos AJ Barlas
Date Feb 11, 2019

The way mountain bicyclists carry spares or tools can be divided into two distinct philosophies. One is firmly against strapping bits and pieces to their beautifully designed bike. This camp generally relies on a hip or backpack to carry their spares and can’t stand messing up the look of their fine steed. The second group despises having anything aside from the clothes on their back hanging off them. Instead this group straps tubes, tools, you name it, to their bike. I fall squarely into the latter group and accessories like the Dakine Hot Laps Gripper are an excellent implement if you to prefer this method.

Features:

• Stores a tube, tire levers and space for two C02 cartridges
  • Straps beneath your seat or to the frame
  • Textured surface between frame and bag to prevent excessive movement
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • MSRP: 22 USD

Note the above mention for Dakine's limited lifetime warranty. Similar to my experience with Dakine packs, the Hot Laps Gripper is well built and made with robust materials. Dakine back it up with a solid warranty, should you encounter a problem. The main compartment comfortably fits a tube and the elasticized sides include slots for tire levers. Under the closing flap are two narrow pockets for C02 cartridges. Any or all are open to individual interpretation as well…

dakine-hot-laps-gripper-120119-ajbarlas-00480.jpg

I was out of C02 cartridges and generally carry a pump (I'm not racing so what's the rush?) but these slim pockets hold cartridges, valves and other small parts.

dakine-hot-laps-gripper-120119-ajbarlas-00478.jpg

Tire levers and similar sized items can be placed in the sides of the wrap. Nice to have if you need them. These are some of the bulkier tire levers and still fit without issue.

It's similar to the Race Face Stash Tool Wrap or the minimalist options from Backcountry Research. A benefit I found with the Dakine option is the loop-back velcro strap. It allows the bag to be tightened down very firmly. It’s also constructed to remain enclosed, where the RF option can open out flat. This can make loading it up a bit trickier, as the open design of the Race Face wrap makes for easy access. However, with the Dakine wrap there’s less chance the contents will fall out. It could still happen, especially on the sides, but it held everything in place for me.

Being able to tighten down the strap firmly thanks to the loop-back strap helped keep my spares in place. There’s also a texturized rubber area to butt against your frame, further increasing hold. Unfortunately, the only location I could place the wrap was under the top tube and during rough descents, it would edge toward the head tube. It never moved more than a few inches but it’s worth noting that it won’t stay completely still when mounted like this.

dakine-hot-laps-gripper-120119-ajbarlas-00479.jpg

The loop-back strap provides heaps of tension to firmly lock down the wrap. Also, note the rubber texture on the back. It doubles as a wear resistant material for the wrap and provides some additional grip to the bike. As with any storage solution like this, make sure you protect your frame too.

dakine-hot-laps-gripper-120119-ajbarlas-00472.jpg

Either side of the wrap is closed with a double layer of this perforated, elasticized material. It's thick and sturdy, and extra pieces like tire levers can be stowed between the layers. After looping through the loop, the strap wraps right back around on itself.

Success with a strap like this remaining in place comes down to where it’s placed. Ideally, that’s in a location like the down tube x seat tube or head tube junction. Also worth noting is that this solution can be stowed under the seat using the seat rails. Most important, the Dakine Hot Laps Gripper held onto the contents securely and kept most of the dirt and grime away. Without a self-contained system—things like the Backcountry Systems or OneUp EDC straps—your spares are subject to every bit of dirt the trail can dish out. A problem for some, while others could not care less.

At 22 USD it’s built to last and comes with a solid warranty.

Visit the Dakine website for more information or to purchase online.

Comments

DemonMike
+1 AJ Barlas
mike  - Feb. 11, 2019, 8:22 a.m.

Bought one , sits on the shelf. Too big to fit my awkward frame design . I was also not impressed in the fact a 29" tube was really tight to fit. For now the tube is in a sandwich bag , strapped to the toptube/seattube brace. #ghettostylelol

+2 mike AJ Barlas
Vik Banerjee  - Feb. 11, 2019, 11:53 a.m.

You can fit a 26er tube into a 29er wheel/tire no problem. That might buy you some extra clearance in the frame.

Brumos73
Brumos73  - Feb. 11, 2019, 12:38 p.m.

Specialized SWAT box.

No need for an ugly strap on or unnecessary weight on your back/hip.

AJ_Barlas
AJ Barlas  - Feb. 11, 2019, 12:39 p.m.

The SWAT system Specialized has developed is incredible. But no other bikes have (or perhaps are even able) to utilize the tech. This gives riders not on a Specialized an option. And it's one of many.

DanL
+1 AJ Barlas
DanL  - Feb. 11, 2019, 5:17 p.m.

That's uncannily similar to the Backcountry Research strap I have. The additional side pockets are a good move though.

Being daKine, I can expect them to be easier to get hold of though.

dan
+1 JVP
Dan  - Feb. 12, 2019, 2:01 p.m.

I've had one of these since last July and it works great on my Slash. Works best on the downtube between the HT and the 20oz bottle I use. It shifts a little bit but I've never lost any contents, even while riding WBP.

I'll also offer that there are two distinct philosophies on frame protection - those who use it, and those (like me) who do not. ;) Sure, the rubber backing of this pack does mar the frame finish a little, but I honestly don't care.

generationfourth
generationfourth  - Feb. 13, 2019, 12:51 p.m.

I don't get it... you're essentially still strapping the tube onto your frame but adding a layer of complexity/weight with not much extended functionality. Not much of a "storage solution".

I went through the 'try to strap everything' to the frame phase and found that it was quite limited. What about my phone? what about small bits and pieces? Snacks? and what if I don't want to buy a specialized carbon frame?

Eventually I settled on a very small frame bag. The EDC frame bag from Bedrock works really well and fits into an unused and out of the way portion of your frame. It's ~7"x7"x6", less than 3 ounces, and shields from elements. In it I have a One Up 70cc pump and EDC tool, Clif bar, emergency headlamp, clear lens for glasses, some first aid wraps and bandages, tp, derailleur hanger, small bits like valve cores, water tablets, patch kits.

That in conjunction with a fork cork I now ride mostly pack-less and when any one gives me crap I run through a list of everything I have on me. Usually more prepared than the packed critics...

dan
Dan  - Feb. 13, 2019, 1:47 p.m.

Clearly there's more than one way to skin a cat. This Dakine item serves as my tire-repair solution, nothing more. Levers, CO2, one tube, and a pair of Pedro's levers. While I don't care too much about the paint on my frame, I don't want to use toe clip straps, gaffer tape, etc. The Hot Laps Gripper does the trick.

Then the other essentials you cite are in my Bontrager Rapid Pack (save for my EDC pump, which resides next to my downtube mounted water bottle), which is another really nice piece of kit. Compact, affordable, durable - it's a nice go-to.

Kevin26
Kevin26  - Feb. 14, 2019, 9:18 a.m.

Careful with what you stash in those elastic side pockets, lost a multi tool out of there. Added another Velcro strap around that part so it doesn't happen again.

I now fit ; zip ties, tire plugs +poker, quick link, multi tool, patch kit, 27.5 tube in mine.