Dad Buys Kid Walmart Bike

Date May 8, 2015

Is a crappy bike better than no bike? Is there a way to get a decent kids’ bike without breaking the bank?

Comments

eric
eric
6 years, 6 months ago

There are decently priced bikes that aren't wal-mart bikes. I work on walmart bikes and make pretty good money doing it. They are shit and people end up dumping more money into them than they are worth. Get what you want for your kid but they probably won't like riding the junk and don't try to make your shop techs feel guilty for charging the same to fix it as they would anybody else.

farbar
Farbar
6 years, 6 months ago

There's so many things wrong with this video.

schratboy
Schratboy
6 years, 6 months ago

Oh for phucksake! Billions of people ride bikes that cost well under $100 US dollars. The idea one must spend hundreds…or even thousands on a freaking bike is laughable. Does everyone need a trail-worthy suspension-enable two wheeler? No. Get over yourselves.

bob-caverly
Bob Caverly
6 years, 6 months ago

Horrible message! This video says you can't be a bike rider unless Daddy spends a boat load of money first! Just WRONG!!!

dave-verrecchia
Dave Verrecchia
6 years, 6 months ago

Reminds me of my childhood… but mostly the stranger in the woods had candy and took me for rides in his van…

mattie-davitt
Mattie Davitt
6 years, 6 months ago

I was hoping it was going to be a video of dudes shredding Wally world bikes until they exploded.

dm
d.m.
6 years, 6 months ago

Anything you buy at Walmart-other than bananas-is going to break fast! But there are lots of good used "real" bikes out there for kids these days.

john-kelley
John Kelley
6 years, 6 months ago

I've always thought bananas are good for breakfast.

older
older
7 years ago

Cute.! I have to say realistically, my kids will start on bmx. When they know how to manual, ollie, and nollie , if they still want a trail bike then they can have one.

john
John
7 years ago

It's obviously not the bike, it's the rider. His dad has a lot more experience and he is just a kid who is still learning how to ride those trails. - Long- time free rider.

bojangles
bojangles
7 years ago

You didn't watch the whole video did you?

gg
gg
7 years ago

Yeah as long as the bike fits and the brakes work why not a budget brand?
Slap on some good Kool stops and some better rubber and then teach some skills!
You're setting yourself up for late retirement & unreasonable expectations dropping $2K CAD.
Actually it's right on with marketing hype of say a $7K carbon high school graduation gift…
Just saw Trek has a new Richie Rich kids line FS yattering the 26″ offering as … gggroannn …

On wheel size, Trek says, “26-inch wheels provide the same benefit to your kid that 29-inch wheels provide adults, faster rolling, better traction, and more stability.”
(Translation --> buy the next wheel size up from 24 !!! Duh.)

michael-knudson
Michael Knudson
7 years ago

the kid rode better than me even when on the Walmart bike.

sridout
sridout
7 years ago

My girls are 14 and 11. When they where younger I had a bugger of a time finding good bikes. Kona seemed to get it that breeders who rode nice Mountain bikes wanted their kids on nice bikes. Both girls had Kona Kula 24's. Now the rest of the bike makers seem to get it and are producing some great kids bikes. Luckily my kids are big enough now that I can purcase small 26ers and there is a good used market out there.

andrewbikeguide
AndrewR
7 years ago

Teaching the kid how to brake properly would be a cheaper first step.

jonathan-hemming
Jonathan Hemming
7 years ago

Yep, Walmart bikes suck, but as kids grow so fast, they'd need a new bike every 2-3 years! I had to wait until I was fully grown so I knew it would last me.

will-scheel
Will Scheel
7 years ago

My only question. Where was this filmed? Want to ride there.
That kid is pretty rad and while I agree that walmart bikes suck, it did look like there was a bit of infomercial difficulty there.

west-smith
West Smith
7 years ago

Duthie Hill MTB park, Sammamish Wa.!

threevolve
threevolve
6 years, 6 months ago

Well, it was an ad for Transition, so..

zach-carman
Zach Carman
7 years ago

Apparently no you cannot get a decent bike without breaking the bank lol. Nice thought but at 1700 is a kid supposed to be working to afford this?

kaz-yamamura
Kaz Yamamura
7 years ago

I'm pretty sure these are aimed for the parent(s) to purchase…

jdzz
jdzz

$1700 is still a lot of money either way

threevolve
threevolve
6 years, 6 months ago

If my kid could shred like that? I'd fuckin buy him any bike he wanted.